The Arizona Department of Transportation advises drivers to plan for the following restrictions as construction continues on Interstate 19 at Pima Mine Road:
• Southbound I-19 will be reduced to one lane early in the morning from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. Monday, June 12, for relocation of temporary concrete barrier.
• Southbound I-19 will be reduced to one lane overnight from 8 p.m. Monday, June 12, to 6 a.m. Tuesday, June 13, and again from 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 13, to 6 a.m. Wednesday, June 14, for pavement work.
• The north and southbound I-19 off-ramps and the northbound I-19 on-ramp will remain open during the work.
The southbound I-19 on-ramp from Pima Mine Road is closed through spring 2018 for the bridge work. During the ramp closure:
• Traffic will be rerouted onto Nogales Highway.
• Two lanes of traffic will remain open on southbound I-19.
• The shoulder is closed in the work zone.
• Pima Mine Road will remain open with minor traffic interruptions during bridge work.
The ramp closure is part of the work to replace the I-19 bridge decks over Pima Mine Road in the town of Sahuarita. The $4.5 million project, located approximately 15 miles south of Tucson and partially on the Tohono O’odham Nation’s San Xavier District, includes replacing the bridge decks on the northbound and southbound travel lanes and reconstructing roadway and bridge approaches. The work also will include widening the southbound I-19 bridge, replacing guardrail end treatments, replacing pavement markings and other miscellaneous work.
Work is scheduled for completion in spring 2018.
Access to the nearby Desert Diamond Casino and ASARCO’s Mission Mine in Sahuarita will be maintained with only occasional brief delays.
Drivers should proceed through the work zone with caution, slow down and watch for construction personnel and equipment.
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. For more information, please call Paki Rico, ADOT senior community relations officer, at 520.388.4233 or email email@example.com or visit the website at http://azdot.gov/projects/southcentral-district-projects/i-19-pima-mine-road-bridge-deck-replacement-project
For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT’s Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 511, except while driving.